About

Panoramic View of Spocott Windmill Complex

Spocott Windmill Complex

All buildings open Sundays beginning Sept. 4 from 1 – 4 PM.

Property open for self-tours 365 days a year from dawn to dusk.

The Spocott Windmill was built in 1972 by Jim Richardson, a master boatbuilder. It is a reconstruction of a windmill built by John Anthony LeCompte Radcliffe about 1852 and which blew down in a blizzard in March, 1888. John AL Radcliffe’s son, George L. Radcliffe, saved the millstones and steps from the original mill, and it was his dream to reconstruct the mill in its original location. After considerable planning the mill was re-built about 100 feet from the original mill and dedicated on Sen. George L. Radcliffe’s 95th birthday, Aug. 22, 1972. The mill is an English post mill, with the entire housing resting on one post, allowing the entire building to be turned into the wind.

Since 1972 a number of other buildings have been moved to the site, creating a small village of the 19th Century. A one and a half story colonial cottage c. 1800 was moved to the site and set up as the Adaline Wheatley Cottage. The original Castle Haven Schoolhouse from about 1/2 mile away was then moved to the site, and most recently a Blacksmith Shop was moved to the location. These latter 2 buildings were built by John Anthony LeCompte Radcliffe. John was an active shipbuilder on the adjacent Spocott Farm from about 1848 to 1860, and these buildings were all built during that period. A 19th Century D octor’s Office is now on site, and restoration of that is in progress.

There is also a c. 1939 Country Store at the site. It has been set up as a combination museum and gift shop. Part of the building is also set up as a Sen. George L. Radcliffe Museum and is equipped with some of his personal memorabilia.

The Spocott Windmill Foundation, Inc., a 501-C-3 entity was set up to maintain the village, to help provide an educational component to the village, and to work with other organizations to help preserve the history and culture of the area. All of our support comes from local citizens and groups. Considerable financial contributions have come from the Walter C. Hill and Family Foundation and the Nathan Foundation.